The community is gathering around an Annable family who lost their home and pets in a fire Monday afternoon.
The house belonged to a Warfield paid on-call firefighter, his wife and five-year old son.
The Village of Warfield is accepting cash donations to help the displaced family with everyday needs, and an online fundraiser has been set up at gofundme.com listed under “Glen, Jenny and McCoy King.”
Additionally, cash donations will be accepted through Kootenay Savings Credit Union and tagged to the gofundme.com/qhaaueg account.
“The sad thing here is the family lost everything,” said Terry Martin, fire chief for Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue. “And, unfortunately, their two cats did not make it.”
The cause of the fire was a lit candle that was inadvertently knocked over near the television, Martin explained. “Which caught the nearby curtains on fire.”
The home sustained minimal fire damage but extensive heat and smoke rendered the dwelling uninhabitable though an insurance determination is pending.
Mrs. King was home at the time of the fire, and fortunately, no injuries were reported.
Two firefighters from Warfield and 14 from Company 4 in Trail were called to the structure fire shortly after 2 p.m. Monday. Crews had the fire under control in 30 minutes. The family is currently being housed in a Trail motel.