Tax breaks out there for B.C. seniors

The Seniors’ Home Renovation Tax Credit is a refundable tax credit to make the home more elderly friendly.

Over 65 and want to stay in your home longer?  Well the BC Government wants you to stay in your home too.  In April 2012 the Seniors’ Home Renovation Tax Credit was introduced for BC residents, unfortunately with little fanfare.  This is a refundable tax credit available to seniors, or to those who have a senior living in their home, to make the home more elderly friendly.

The credit is worth up to $1,000 annually, based on 10 per cent of actual renovation costs.  In other words, to max out the credit there has to be $10,000 of eligible expenses incurred in a calendar year.   It is a refundable tax credit which means the taxpayer claiming the credit will receive the full amount claimed regardless of whether or not BC provincial income taxes are due.

For example, if the renovations cost $6,500 yielding a credit of $650, and the taxpayer has $125 of BC provincial tax liability than the taxpayer not only has the $125 of provincial tax eliminated but also receives the balance of $525 as a refund.

This differs from a non-refundable tax credit where once the tax liability is reduced to zero, the difference is forfeited – no refund of the balance to the taxpayer.

The renos can be to a home whether rented or owned and includes improvements to the land surrounding the home.

To be an eligible undertaking all renovations must be of an enduring nature and enable a senior to gain access to or mobility within or around the home or property.  Examples are as basic as installing hand rails, door levers or motion lights and as complex as widening doorways, lowering counters or building elevators.  Also included are module fixtures like ramps and tubs.

However, the improvement must be seen as being typical to the needs of the senior it is intended to aid.  It cannot be something that simply increases the value of the home or property such as replacing the shingles on the roof or creating a backyard garden.

Renovations can be done by the do-it-yourself taxpayer but no cost can be attributed for the taxpayer’s labour.  Family members can be hired to do the renovation work as long as the business is registered with HST.

The claim can be made by the senior or, in the case of the senior living in a family member’s home, the family member whose home experiences the renovation can make the claim, or both parties can make a shared claim but to a maximum of $1,000 between the two taxpayers.  It remains a refundable tax credit regardless of the party who makes the claim.

This credit was introduced in April 2012 and therefore only expenses after that date can be claimed for 2012 tax purposes.  No documentation needs to be submitted to CRA at the time of filing, but remember to keep all your records in case CRA asks to review them.

Please take note, at this time this credit remains available for 2013 and likely beyond.

Ron Clarke has his MBA and is a business owner in Trail, providing accounting and tax services. Email him at To read previous Tax Tips & Pits columns visit

Just Posted

The Trail Smoke Eaters will open the 2021 season on Oct. 8 against the Cranbrook Bucks in Cranbrook, and will have their home opener the next night against the same Bucks. Photo: Jack Murray
BC Hockey League announces 54-game schedule to begin in October

Trail Smoke Eaters open season with home-and-home series versus Cranbrook Bucks

“The Spirit of Family” enhances the Beaver Valley both in the daytime and at night. Photo: Submitted
Family sculpture installed at the Fruitvale Memorial Hall

Locals are encouraged to swing by Fruitvale Memorial Hall to take a… Continue reading

In 1927, swimmers enjoyed a day in the water at the CGIT and CSET Camp in Summerland. While none of the people in this photograph have smart phones, there is some debate about whether a beach image from the United Kingdom in 1943 shows a man using a smart phone. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
COLUMN: The mystery of the time-travelling tourist

Was the man in a 1943 photograph checking his smart phone?

The flotation line at Gyro Park beach in East Trail, shown here during low water, is for emergency purposes only and does not delineate a safe swimming area. Photo: Trail Times file
City of Trail cautions beach users

Gyro Park beach questions should be directed to the roads superintendent at 250.364.0817.

Presently in Canada, it is illegal to be in possession of a personal stun gun. Use of this tool is only licensed to federal and provincial police officers. The personal use of stun guns by unlicensed civilians is considered to be illegal and considered under the Canadian Criminal Code to be the equivalent of a weapon. Anyone found importing or in possession of a personal stun gun and is not a licensed law enforcement officer can be prosecuted under the Canadian Criminal Code. Photo: BC RCMP
Trail man faces weapons charge after police confiscate stun gun

The incident took place on Sunday near downtown Trail

People watch a car burn during a riot following game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup final in downtown Vancouver, B.C., in this June 15, 2011 photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Howe
10 years ago: Where were you during the 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Riots?

Smashed-in storefronts, looting, garbage can fires and overturned cars some of the damage remembered today

(Black Press Media file)
Dirty money: Canadian currency the most germ-filled in the world, survey suggests

Canadian plastic currency was found to contain 209 bacterial cultures

(pixabay file shot)
B.C. ombudsperson labels youth confinement in jail ‘unsafe,’ calls for changes

Review states a maximum of 22 hours for youth, aged 12 from to 17, to be placed in solitary

Grace (left), a caribou that was born in a maternal pen north of Revelstoke, is alive and well said the province. It appears she even has a calf. Maternity pens aim to increase caribou calf survival by protecting them from predation until they are older and less vulnerable. (Contributed)
For the first time in years, caribou numbers increasing near Revelstoke

North herd growing but south herd still concerning

Eleonore Alamillo-Laberge, 6, reads a book in Ottawa on Monday, June 12, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Parents will need to fight ‘COVID learning slump’ over summer: B.C. literacy experts

Parents who play an active role in educating their children this summer can reverse the slump by nearly 80%, says Janet Mort

Kelowna General Hospital. (File photo)
COVID-19 outbreak at Kelowna General Hospital declared over

Three people tested positive for the virus — two patients and one staff — one of whom died

The border crossing on Highway 11 in Abbotsford heading south (file)
Western premiers call for clarity, timelines on international travel, reopening rules

Trudeau has called Thursday meeting, premiers say they expect to leave that meeting with a plan

The B.C. government’s vaccine booking website is busy processing second-dose appointments, with more than 76 per cent of adults having received a first dose. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations stable for Tuesday

108 new confirmed cases, 139 in hospital, 39 in intensive care

Most Read