Tax Tips and Pits – Claiming interest as an expense

"As tax season draws to a close, what better time than right now to do some tax planning for next tax season."

As tax season draws to a close, what better time than right now to do some tax planning for next tax season.

At the risk of entering the world of investment advice, and please do not take anything within as such advice, from a tax perspective there are better methods of acquiring investments than others.

Here is the basic premise:  interest expense associated with loans used for personal purposes is not tax deductible while interest expense associated with loans used for income producing purposes, is.  This interest is classified as a carrying cost.

This is a straight up fact but, as always with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), there are exceptions like interest from loans used to invest in an RRSP is not a deductible expense.

This aside, there is credence in the premise noted.

If you find yourself in a position of having personal loans and also possessing income producing investments (an oxymoron?) then the following course of action may be of interest to you for tax purposes.

Cash out investments, pay capital gains tax if applicable, pay off personal debt, take out a loan, acquire investments, and claim investment interest expense as a carrying cost.

Thus the phrase, “interest expense shuffle”.

Of course if the investment involves large capital gains, serious consideration has to be given to the tax consequence upon divesture. There may clearly be no tax advantage in going this route.

And if there is a capital loss involved, CRA will not allow this loss to be claimed if the same investments are re-purchased within 30 days of divesture.  This is referred to as a “superficial loss” and special CRA tax rules apply.

Then again, is a losing investment something to re-invest in?  Likely better to take the capital loss, use the freed up cash to pay down personal debt, and then take out a new loan to invest in something else and write off the new investment loan’s interest?

Before undertaking any investment maneuver like this one, do your research and seek professional advice.

Ron Clarke has his MBA and is a business owner in Trail, providing accounting and tax services. Email him at To read previous Tax Tips & Pits columns visit

Just Posted

Trail and area artists eligible for arts training grant

Grant to support learning for visual and performance artists

New affordable housing in the works for East Trail

The proposal involves tearing down the old McBride Manor house and building a “nine-plex”

Snow hosts available to help you explore the Rossland Range

Safe and responsible way to learn about Rossland Recreation Site

Support for Music Heals Program in Trail

The music therapy program for seniors runs in Columbia View Lodge

South Columbia SAR hoping season stays relatively quiet

Group has responded to four calls so far this winter

First Nation supporters march to Horgan’s MLA office

Dozens marched across the Greater Victoria community of Langford to support the Wet’suwet’en people

Condo rental bans may be on way out with B.C. empty home tax

Many exemptions to tax, but annual declarations required

Canucks rookie Elias Pettersson ‘feeling good’ after knee injury

Pettersson said he wasn’t feeling any pain during Wednesday’s skate

Kentucky canoe outfit borrows photo of Trudeau family to market business

They are in a red canoe, all clad in life jackets, and Sophie Gregoire Trudeau and Ella-Grace are waving

Ratfish generates social media buzz on Vancouver Island

Boneless, glowing creature a common bycatch, but it usually stays in deep waters – fish expert

UPDATE: Liberal bows out of byelection after singling out Jagmeet Singh’s race

Karen Wang says she made comments online that referenced Singh’s cultural background

Daredevil changes game plan to jump broken White Rock pier

Brooke Colby tells council daredevil event would help boost waterfront business

B.C. storm totals $37M in insured damages

The December storm wreaked havoc on B.C.’s south coast

Most Read