Tax Tips and Pits: U.S. citizens living abroad must file

“I’m an American citizen and have been living and working in Canada for years. I hear I have to file a U.S. tax return. Is this true?”

“I’m an American citizen and have been living and working in Canada for years.  I hear I have to file a U.S. tax return.  Is this true?”

This question is being asked more and more, and the answer is, “yes”.

Unlike Canada’s tax policy that is based on residency, in other words if you live in Canada you file a Canadian tax return regardless of your citizenship, U.S. tax policy is based on citizenship.

If you are an American citizen, have dual American citizenship, or hold an American “green card” and live outside of the U.S., you likely have to file a U.S. tax return.  And yes, even if you have never lived or worked in the U.S., you may still have to file in the U.S..

The trigger for having the obligation to file in the U.S. centers around income received.  The list is exhaustive and includes wages, commissions, interest, dividends, capital gains, royalties, business, farm and rental income, social security, even spousal support and inheritance.  And these can come from anywhere in the world, not just the U.S..

If you have somehow escaped receiving any of these sources of income, you still may have to file if you are married to an American citizen who received income identified above.

It’s about this point in the conversation that the question becomes, “Is there any way to be excused from filing in the U.S.?”

Yes there is and it is based on threshold annual incomes determined by marital status and age.  They range from $3,950 to $21,500.  In other words, given your life situation, if you don’t exceed the applicable income threshold, you don’t have to file a U.S. return.

For those who have income and that income exceeds the threshold, the good news is you won’t be double taxed.

The tax treaty between the U.S. and Canada gives credit for taxes paid in Canada so in the end, no taxes may actually be payable in the U.S..

However, just because you don’t have taxes due in the U.S., doesn’t mean you are exempt from filing a U.S. return.  You still have to file in the U.S. to claim your income and to prove that as much tax has been paid in Canada as would have been paid in the U.S., a troublesome thought when it comes to inheritance and some types of capital gains like your principal residence – but these are topics for another day.

Finally, to be helpful to American citizens living abroad, the filing deadline of the U.S. tax return is extended from the normal April 15 date to June 15.  Given, Canada’s April 30 deadline, this extra time is handy.

Ron Clarke has his MBA and is a business owner in Trail, providing accounting and tax services.

Email him at To read previous Tax Tips & Pits columns visit www.JBSbiz.netron.

Just Posted

Adrian Moyls is the Selkirk College Class of 2021 valedictorian and graduate of the School of Health and Human Services. Photo: Submitted
Selkirk College valedictorian proves mettle in accomplishment

Adrian Moyls is a graduate of the School of Health and Human Services

A tent housing a mobile vaccination clinic. (Interior Health/Contributed)
Over 5K jabbed at Interior Health mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinics

The clinics have made stops in more than 40 communities since launching last week

The pilot of this single-engine propeller plane was unhurt after crash-landing in a Como Road orchard Friday, June 18. Photo: Laurie Tritschler
Plane crash lands into Grand Forks orchard, pilot injured

RCMP have secured the crash site, pending investigation by Transport Canada

Author John Vaillant joins Lisa Moore and Fred Wah for Elephant Mountain Literary Festival’s Alumni Reading on Friday, July 9. All three authors were featured at the inaugural festival in 2012. Photo: Submitted
FESTIVAL TALES: When 2012 meets 2021

The Elephant Mountain Literary Festival will include authors from the event’s inaugural year

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Interior Health COVID-19 cases falling slower than the rest of B.C.

More than a third of provincial cases announced Thursday came from the Interior

A small pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins pass by close to shore in Campbell River June 16, 2021. Still capture from video courtesy of Kimberly Hart
VIDEO: Dolphin sunset captured from Vancouver Island shore

Spectacular setting for view of travelling pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins

Police are asking for public assistance in locating Anthony Graham who has been charged with the murders of Kamloops brothers Carlo and Erick Fryer. (RCMP photo)
2 charged, suspect at large in killings of B.C. brothers linked to gang activity: RCMP

Kamloops brothers Erick and Carlo Fryer were found deceased in May on a remote Okanagan road

Albert Health Minister Tyler Shandro and Alberta Premier Jason Kenney unveil an opening sign after speaking about the Open for Summer Plan and next steps in the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, in Edmonton, Friday, June 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta 1st province in Canada to lift all COVID-19 public health restrictions

70.2% of eligible citizens 12 and older in the province have received a dose of the vaccine

Fraser Health registered nurse Ramn Manan draws a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine into a syringe at a walk-up vaccination clinic at Bear Creek Park, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, May 17, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
‘Honour our fathers’ with COVID-19 vaccine protection, B.C. urges

109 new cases Friday, 75 per cent of 12 and up immunized

(Paul Henderson/ Chilliwack Progress)
Trutch Avenue in Chilliwack to be renamed to remove racist taint

New name to have Indigenous significance as Chilliwack takes new step toward reconciliation

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is seen during a joint news conference following the EU-Canada Summit, in Brussels, Belgium, Tuesday June 15, 2021. Trudeau says Canada is on track now to have 68 million doses delivered by the end of July, which is more than enough to fully vaccinate all 33.2 million Canadians over the age of 12. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Vaccine deliveries enough to fully vaccinate all eligible Canadians by end of July

Three in four eligible Canadians now have their first dose, nearly one in five fully vaccinated.

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam listens to a question during a news conference, in Ottawa, Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021. The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases attributed to the highly contagious Delta variant grew in Canada this week. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada’s public health agency reports spike in confirmed cases of Delta variant

More than 2,000 cases of the variant confirmed across all 10 provinces and in one territory

Bella Bella is on B.C.’s Central Coast, accessible only by air and ocean. (Tom Fletcher/Black Press)
B.C. provides $22 million for Heiltsuk development on Central Coast

Elders care home project, tourism, lumber mill supported

Most Read