• Thursday, Bailey Theatre, 7 p.m. J.L. Crowe Variety Show. Popular annual event features students and teachers showcasing their talent.
• Friday, Trail Memorial Centre, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Family Action Network hosts “0-5 Watch Me Thrive.” Free drop-in event in the McIntyre Room for children up to age five. Learn about your child’s development using a play-based approach. Parents, grandparents and caretakers are invited to come and celebrate all the wonderful things kids can do. Pizza, prizes, Kindergym time, and a ‘mini-slime time’ with the Rossland Museum. For info contact Family Action Network at 1.855.368.3707.
• Friday, Trail United Church, 1:30 p.m. World Day of Prayer. Refreshments. All welcome, wheelchair accessible.
• Thursday, Royal Theatre, 7 p.m. showing Reel Rock 13 in partnership with the Association of West Kootenay Rock Climbers. All proceeds will go toward securing the waterline crag in Castlegar.
• Saturday, Royal Theatre, 9:55 a.m. Met Opera performs La Fille du Regiment, an opéra comique in two acts by Gaetano Donizetti.
• Friday, VISAC Gallery, 6-8 p.m. Opening reception for Diane Oser Memorial Show and Sale. All welcome to celebrate the life and work by West Kootenay artist Diane Oser. In 2008 Diane’s paintings were part of the Trail and District Art Walk and has also shown at the annual ‘Art of Wine” fundraising event for the pediatric unit at the Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital. Diane was an active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, and won the Gold Award in 2009.
• March 8, Fruitvale Memorial Hall, 7:30-10:30 p.m. Enjoy an evening of dancing to the big-band sounds of the SwingSationS. All welcome. Tickets $20, available at Trail Coffee Co., Mallard’s Source For Sports in Castlegar, and Country Roads General Store in Fruitvale. To reserve call 250.367.6115.
• March 9, Bailey Theatre, 2 p.m. Teck Family Series presents Worlds of Puppets: Peter and the Wolf. Icelandic award-winning puppeteer Bernd Ogrodnik brings this enchanting story to life.
• March 9, Bailey Theatre, 7:30 p.m. E2: Experiments in Entertainment presents Worlds of Puppets: Metamorphosis. Bernd Ogrodnik’s trademark performance employs a vast variety of puppetry styles through a collection of moving, hilarious and imaginative original short stories.
• March 10, Royal Theatre, Sunday Cinema presents If Beale Street Could Talk.
• March 16, Trail United Church, 10 a.m. to noon. St. Patrick’s Coffee Party. Bake table and toonie table. All welcome.
• March 19, Red Mountain 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for one-day Cam Cap with Tristan Martin-Preney. Open to youth 9 to 16 who ski or snowboard at an intermediate to expert level and want to get the most out of their POV cameras, as well as learn how filming can help them progress and self-promote. For info and to register, $40, contact Meghan Wright at Rossland Council for Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• March 29, Bailey Theatre, 7:30 p.m. E2 Entertainment presents The Slocan Ramblers.