Firefighters rescued a dog from a Sunday morning house fire in East Trail.
Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue was called to a structure fire on the 1500 block of Fifth Avenue just before 11 a.m. Dec. 23.
Crews arrived to find heavy smoke emanating from the building with the two occupants already outside, Fire Chief Dan Derby reported Sunday afternoon.
The first fire attack crew entered the home and rescued the family pet from the blaze.
Derby says the cause was “unattended cooking.”
“Occupants had left a pot of oil on the stove and woke to the kitchen fully engulfed in fire,” he explained. “There were no working smoke alarms.”
Eight firefighters from Warfield attended alongside a crew of 16 from Station 374 Trail.
The incident was under control within a half hour.
A Canadian Red Cross team has been activated to support the occupants of the building, Derby added.
“Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to have a working smoking detector and to leave at least a three-inch space around space heaters.”