Grease fire sends three to hospital

Firefighters douse flames in 15 minutes at Fruitvale home.

An unattended pot of grease on a stovetop sent three people to the hospital Monday night.

The 9-1-1 call from a Fruitvale home came into Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue just after 6 p.m. Chief Terry Martin told the Trail Times.

Crews from Fruitvale, Montrose and Trail attended the scene and contained the structure fire to a small area in the kitchen.

“We had the fire extinguished in 15 minutes, which included time to remove the remaining smoke from the house,” he said.

Three occupants in the residence were transported to Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital by ambulance. Two were treated for smoke inhalation, and the third for burns to his hands.

“Our crews removed numerous pets from the house because of the smoke in the structure,” Martin added.

He advises the public to never leave pots unattended on the stove when cooking food.