RCMP deliver crime stats to Trail council

A murder, two sex assaults and a surge in break and enters this year were reported when semi-annual crime statistics were presented.

A murder, two sex assaults and a surge in break and enters this year “disappointed” Trail’s mayor Monday night, when semi-annual crime statistics were presented.

But Trail RCMP Sgt. Rob Hawton said a snapshot from one year to the next can often be attributed to just a few culprits.

“One or two individuals can go on a bit of a spree and make quite a substantial difference in reported crimes of this nature,” he said, pointing specifically to 25 break and enters reported between January to June this year, compared to 12 during the same time in 2010.

Trail resident Trevor Isenor, 33, was found guilty for two of these counts of break and enter on July 13 in Grand Forks court, where he received a one-year sentence and two years of probation after release.

“We’ve had this before, where we have suddenly seen an incredible spike in one or two of the statistics simply because there are one or more actors in our community and they carry on until they finally get caught,” agreed Trail Mayor Dieter   Bogs.

“Look at the guy who did all (84) of the paintings of the cars (last year) and look how long it took to finally catch him and then ‘bingo’ damage to private vehicles just stopped.”

In fact, the drop in theft, mischief and possession of stolen property to 133 incidents from 212 last year does reflect the spree of vandalism.

“I think in many cases you find it’s the public who actually help the RCMP,” added Bogs. “The public is part of the police force in Trail and it needs to be in order for us to catch these characters as quickly as possible.”

A 17-year-old Trail resident was arrested in relation to the lone homicide this year and is still before the courts.

The teen was picked up in regards to a murder of a 25-year-old who suffered fatal injuries after getting into a fight at a residence in Trail before he was brought to Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on May 15.