Ray Wilson

October 27, 1951 – October 3, 2020
It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden and unexpected passing of our loving father, grandfather, husband, brother, uncle and friend, Ray Wilson at the young age of 68.
Ray was predeceased by his mother and father, John and Bessie Wilson, sisters Ellen Hunt, Gloria Bagg, and brother Dennis Barker.
Ray is survived by his loving wife Barb (Popoff) of 41 years, his son Jonathan, daughter Megan Mason (Jarret ) and his three grandchildren, Taylor, Hannah and Luke. Also, by his brother, Jim Wilson (Corrine). He will be remembered as well, by the many people that came to know Ray in the tight knit community he called home.
Ray was born in Kelowna in 1951 and later moved to Fruitvale at the age of 3, where he lived nearly his entire life on Debruyn Road, back and forth between the three properties owned by his immediate family members.
In his early years, Ray took auto mechanics and worked at Speedway Salvage in Salmo, later getting a job at Beaver Esso in Fruitvale where he would meet his wife to be while working there.
Ray and Barb were married in 1979.
In 1982, as well as starting a family, they began what would prove to be a lifelong project together- building, finishing and landscaping their log home property, which they did on their own with only the help of family.
In the late 1980’s Ray took a different direction with work and was employed with the highways department for the most part as the grader operator, retiring in 2014.
Ray became a Grandpa at the age of 61. Some of his happiest times were spent in the company of his grandkids who lived only a short distance away.
Ray and Barb enjoyed gardening. Ray liked to get outdoors on their ATV. He enjoyed camping, whether it be with his family when the kids were young, or later years, just him and Barb. They had recently fallen into the electric bike trend, which he quite thoroughly enjoyed.
He is most notably remembered by his family and friends as a man that could fix or build nearly anything. His family could almost count on one hand how many times they used a third party for any repair of any kind, Ray was always up for the challenge.
His patience and methodical ways never ceased to amaze when figuring out a solution to a problem. He put helping his family with these sorts of things at the top of the priority list, no matter the time of day, night or the weather.
Ray, together with his son Jonathan spent the past two years building the shop of their dreams. The memories that were made during this time will never be forgotten. At the end of a long day, Ray would often say “Is it beer time yet?”
The family would like to thank the paramedics for their quick response, and also the many doctors and nurses that took such good care of Ray during his time in their care.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.