Some Sunningdale homeowners are upset that the proposed 250 feet of mesh fence would obstruct views of the park

Some Sunningdale homeowners are upset that the proposed 250 feet of mesh fence would obstruct views of the park

Neighbours petition against fence for Sunningdale park

Juli Dobie and Rick Morris met with the Mayor Wednesday afternoon requesting that alternate solutions to a permanent barrier be explored.

Sixty signatures on a petition and neighbours voicing discontent has the city reconsidering the installation of a six-foot fence on the west side of Lower Sunningdale park.

Juli Dobie and Rick Morris met with Trail Mayor Mike Martin Wednesday afternoon requesting the project be delayed and alternate solutions to a permanent barrier be explored.

The 250-foot green mesh fence was slated to be in place by mid-April when soccer season kicked off, according to a city-issued letter sent to neighbours in the immediate vicinity of the park.

“The reaction to the fence has been very negative,” Dobie told the Trail Times earlier in the day. “We already have 60 signatures without even canvassing door-to-door, this is just people we’ve spoken to.”

She said homeowners facing the park are upset the fence line will obstruct their view of the verdant area, which is used primarily by youth and adult soccer leagues.

The city did give residents the opportunity to have a say in the matter prior to Trail council’s recent decision.

Robert Baker, Trail’s deputy director of parks and recreation, issued notice to 23 Sunningdale homeowners on March 24.

He described the project in the correspondence and gave residents one week to raise concerns, but only six people replied.

The 17 residents who didn’t, were considered “for” the fence along with one “for” respondent versus five homeowners who responded “against.”

“People are livid the city is doing this for one person,” said Dobie. “They assume people don’t care or are for it if the letter wasn’t returned. There was nothing in the letter that stated if you did not reply we would take it as assent,” she added. “But when you have five people directly facing the park saying no, and only one saying yes, it makes you wonder.”

After listening to Dobie and Morris, Martin said the pair presented sufficient information that should be presented to council.

“And if necessary, the decision to be reconsidered,” he explained. “It’s not for me to intervene on behalf of council, but we are listening and I did suggest they attend the May 11 council meeting for a public input period.”

Since 2012 there’s been back and forth between the homeowner and the City of Trail regarding errant soccer balls leaving Lower Sunningdale Park and landing on her Glen Drive property.

While no physical damage has been experienced by the property owner or neighbours, the soccer balls leaving the park appear to be an inconvenience, wrote Baker in a Feb. 4 memo to council.

In cooperation with the resident and the soccer association, staff considered solutions such as adjusting the angle of the soccer field lines to prevent the property from being behind the goal and suggested moving men’s soccer to another field entirely.

Last year, no adult league games were scheduled in the park. However, the field is used freely by the public, including ‘casual’ lacrosse and soccer players, as well as dog owners playing fetch and children on the playground, said Baker.

The city advised the soccer league that a temporary fence was no longer an option because of costly wear and tear, and the risk it posed to wildlife after several deer became trapped in the material.

During the April 13 governance meeting, Trail council agreed the best solution to resolve the matter was the installation of a six-foot chain link fence spanning the length of the west side of the soccer field.

The decision was based on municipal insurers identifying a liability potential at the site, which secured $4,900 in the form of a risk management grant.

“We don’t mind a temporary fence like in years past, that seemed to do the trick,” said Dobie. “Kids play in that park all the time, but what happens if one day there is no more soccer on that field?

“Then all you have is a giant chain link fence, so that’s something they have to think about.”

Just Posted

Area A Director Ali Grieve (right), Village of Fruitvale Mayor Steve Morissette (front), and Village of Montrose Mayor Mike Walsh (left) held a congratulatory ceremony for Beaver Valley students who are part of the Class of 2021 graduates of J. L. Crowe Secondary at Beaver Creek Park on Thursday. Photo: Jim Bailey
Beaver Valley Grads of 2021

Beaver Valley mayors, RDKB Area A director celebrate their 2021 graduates with gift ceremony

Adrian Moyls is the Selkirk College Class of 2021 valedictorian and graduate of the School of Health and Human Services. Photo: Submitted
Selkirk College valedictorian proves mettle in accomplishment

Adrian Moyls is a graduate of the School of Health and Human Services

A volunteer delivers food to families as part of a West Kootenay EcoSociety program. Photo: Submitted
Farms to Friends delivers 2,500th bag of food to families in need

The program services communities in the Nelson, Trail and Castlegar areas

Selkirk College has begun its search in earnest for a leader to replace president Angus Graeme who is set to retire from his position in May 2022. Photo: Submitted
Selkirk College seeks community input for president search

Current president Angus Graeme retires next year

A report shows nine West Kootenay communities are have more low-income persons than the provincial average. File photo
Study casts new light on poverty in the West Kootenay

Nine communities in region have more low-income residents than provincial average

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read