Local History

The earliest known drawing of Woodside Farm in the 1850s. (Contributed - Sooke Region Museum)

Woodside sold: Sooke couple buys Western Canada’s oldest working farm

South Island’s Woodside Farm is the oldest continuously operated farm west of the Great Lakes

The earliest known drawing of Woodside Farm in the 1850s. (Contributed - Sooke Region Museum)
The first hospital in Trail was built in 1905 and used as such until 1925. Photo: Submitted

Trail Blazers: Remembering the C.S. Williams Clinic, a community anchor

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

The first hospital in Trail was built in 1905 and used as such until 1925. Photo: Submitted
Back L-R: George Ferguson, Addy Tambellini, Harry Smith, Norm Lenardon, Ed Cristofoli. Front L-R: President James Cameron (with camera), Walt Peacosh and Harold Jones. Photo: Dave Rusnell c/o Trail Historical Society.

Trail Blazers: A Candid Moment in Time

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

Back L-R: George Ferguson, Addy Tambellini, Harry Smith, Norm Lenardon, Ed Cristofoli. Front L-R: President James Cameron (with camera), Walt Peacosh and Harold Jones. Photo: Dave Rusnell c/o Trail Historical Society.
The restoration process of Creston’s red grain elevator has entered its early stages. Photo: Aaron Hemens

Creston grain elevator restoration underway

The iconic elevators were purchased by Columbia Basin Trust in 2018

The restoration process of Creston’s red grain elevator has entered its early stages. Photo: Aaron Hemens
Pictured here are part of the Oxide Leaching crew on Dec. 31, 1944. L-R: Reg Bilkey, Mary Rohacks, Mabel Schiavon, Bill Saitherswaite, Bobby Mason held by Carmela Demeo, Jean Stainton, Skid Marsters, Ingrid “Atty” Atkinson, Andy Adie, and Jessie Woodridge. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Pillars of strength – our women

Trail Blazers is a weekly historical feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

Pictured here are part of the Oxide Leaching crew on Dec. 31, 1944. L-R: Reg Bilkey, Mary Rohacks, Mabel Schiavon, Bill Saitherswaite, Bobby Mason held by Carmela Demeo, Jean Stainton, Skid Marsters, Ingrid “Atty” Atkinson, Andy Adie, and Jessie Woodridge. Photo: Trail Historical Society
The Village of Warfield was incorporated in 1952, the year this picture was taken showing Annable. Photo: Joe Guercio

Trail Blazers: Sidebar to Trail-Tadanac amalgamation

Warfield said ‘No’ to amalgamation 54 years ago

The Village of Warfield was incorporated in 1952, the year this picture was taken showing Annable. Photo: Joe Guercio
Members of the Trail and Tadanac councils signing the long-awaited amalgamation agreement on Feb. 26, 1968. Standing, L-R: Otto Gill (Tadanac), Norm Gabana (Trail), V.D. Arcuri (Trail), Ian Somerville (Tadanac), Ugo DiBiasio (Trail), George Wilson (Tadanac), J.P. Logelin (Trail Administrator), John Hopkinson (Tadanac), and D.K. Smith (Trail). Seated and signing the agreements are Percy Halliwell (Tadanac Reeve) and F.E. “Buddy” DeVito (Trail Mayor). Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: When two towns became one

Trail Blazers is a weekly historical feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

Members of the Trail and Tadanac councils signing the long-awaited amalgamation agreement on Feb. 26, 1968. Standing, L-R: Otto Gill (Tadanac), Norm Gabana (Trail), V.D. Arcuri (Trail), Ian Somerville (Tadanac), Ugo DiBiasio (Trail), George Wilson (Tadanac), J.P. Logelin (Trail Administrator), John Hopkinson (Tadanac), and D.K. Smith (Trail). Seated and signing the agreements are Percy Halliwell (Tadanac Reeve) and F.E. “Buddy” DeVito (Trail Mayor). Photo: Trail Historical Society
The mud slide in East Trail below Shaver’s Bench bank, dated Feb. 27, 1932. Car carriages are completely buried, people are seen walking atop five-or-so feet of what appears to be compact mud and snow. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Early thaw wreaked havoc circa 1932

Trail Blazers is a weekly historical feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

The mud slide in East Trail below Shaver’s Bench bank, dated Feb. 27, 1932. Car carriages are completely buried, people are seen walking atop five-or-so feet of what appears to be compact mud and snow. Photo: Trail Historical Society
The Creston Museum’s Ford Model T turns 100 in July. Photo: Aaron Hemens

Kootenay museum honouring Model T’s 100th birthday with graphic novel

“I wonder what this truck has seen. What stories could it tell? Let’s just let it tell those stories.”

The Creston Museum’s Ford Model T turns 100 in July. Photo: Aaron Hemens
The former Trail ski hill was located above Gyro Park. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: When the city had a renowned ski hill

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

The former Trail ski hill was located above Gyro Park. Photo: Trail Historical Society
A team from the Soviet Union made a stopover in Trail on Jan. 26, 1960 to face off against the Trail Smoke Eaters in the Cominco Arena. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Soviet Union faces off against the Smoke Eaters

The Trail game in January 1960 was part of the Soviet’s first-ever Canadian exhibition tour.

A team from the Soviet Union made a stopover in Trail on Jan. 26, 1960 to face off against the Trail Smoke Eaters in the Cominco Arena. Photo: Trail Historical Society
Lauriente’s Clothing always made sure to have beautiful displays in the front window of their Rossland Avenue store. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Lauriente’s kept locals dressed in the finest fashion

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

Lauriente’s Clothing always made sure to have beautiful displays in the front window of their Rossland Avenue store. Photo: Trail Historical Society
View of the city from West Trail. Photo: Ryden Wahl

What you see …

If you have a recent photo to share email it large or actual-size to editor@trailtimes.ca

  • Jan 19, 2021
View of the city from West Trail. Photo: Ryden Wahl
This photo taken by the Hughes Brothers circa 1925 is titled, “Generator in course of erection W.K.P. & L. Co., Bonnington, B.C.” This generator was key to the upgraded #1 plant in Lower Bonnington owed then by the West Kootenay Power and Light Company (W.K.P. & L. Co.) Photo: Trail Historical Society

Origins of West Kootenay hydropower

View the Trail Historical Society’s first curated online photo exhibit at trailhistory.com

This photo taken by the Hughes Brothers circa 1925 is titled, “Generator in course of erection W.K.P. & L. Co., Bonnington, B.C.” This generator was key to the upgraded #1 plant in Lower Bonnington owed then by the West Kootenay Power and Light Company (W.K.P. & L. Co.) Photo: Trail Historical Society
Back in the day, the City of Trail held municipal elections annually every January. In 1931, Bruno LeRose won the mayoral seat over A.G. Harvey. Another interesting fact, is that the city’s population was 8,037 in 1931. According to the last census (2016) the population of Trail is now 7,709. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Looking at the civic election 90 years later

Trail Blazers is a weekly historical feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

Back in the day, the City of Trail held municipal elections annually every January. In 1931, Bruno LeRose won the mayoral seat over A.G. Harvey. Another interesting fact, is that the city’s population was 8,037 in 1931. According to the last census (2016) the population of Trail is now 7,709. Photo: Trail Historical Society
The Trail Boys Naval Brigade awaiting the inspection party, 1924. Photo: Trail Museum and Archives

Trail Blazers: The Trail Boys’ Naval Brigade, 1920-1926

Trail Blazers is a weekly historical feature in partnership with the Trail archives and others

The Trail Boys Naval Brigade awaiting the inspection party, 1924. Photo: Trail Museum and Archives
St. Andrew’s United Church in Kaslo has a new look. Photo: John Whitehead

Historic Kaslo church receives 21st century makeover

Saint Andrews United Church, originally named Robertson Presbyterian Church, was constructed in 1893

St. Andrew’s United Church in Kaslo has a new look. Photo: John Whitehead
New Year’s Eve in Trail, circa the 1950s. Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Dosey Doe-ing in a New Year

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum and Archives

New Year’s Eve in Trail, circa the 1950s. Photo: Trail Historical Society
Photo: Trail Historical Society

Trail Blazers: Remembering Christmas past

Trail Blazers is a weekly feature in partnership with the Trail Museum & Archives

Photo: Trail Historical Society
Rossland Ladies Hockey Team circa 1900. Photo: Rossland Museum and Discovery Centre as digitized by the Columbia Basin Institute of Regional History.

Canadian Pioneers of Women’s Hockey

The Rossland ladies remained virtually undefeated in organized play until disbanding in 1918

Rossland Ladies Hockey Team circa 1900. Photo: Rossland Museum and Discovery Centre as digitized by the Columbia Basin Institute of Regional History.