Tax Tips and Pits – Important points for childcare deductions

"If childcare is required in order to earn income, the paid expense is deductible against earned income."

If childcare is required in order to earn income, the paid expense is deductible against earned income.

It’s important to define “earned” income.  In this case, income from employment or running a business, plus grants and fellowships related to work are included. A CPP disability pension is also considered earned income.

There are many qualifiers attached to this deduction – some missed during tax preparation that even software doesn’t pick up sometimes.

First, if married, both parents have to be earning income.

And from this, the most often made mistake is to deduct the childcare expense from the higher income earner – makes sense since this would have the most impact on tax savings. In actual fact, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires the expense to be deducted from the lower income earner.

That’s point one.

Exceptions to point one – if the a parent is enrolled in full-time studies (part-time may qualify) for part of the year, is medically incapable of caring for a child, is confined to a wheelchair, bed or hospital for at least two weeks, or is confined to a prison for two weeks or more during the year. If any of these cases apply then the higher income earner can claim the childcare expense.

Point two, the maximum allowable deduction is the lower of the actual childcare expense or two-thirds of the earned income or CRA’s set dollar maximum per child. It’s amazing how easy to miss this point and claim the wrong amount.

A related frustration arising from the maximum allowable claim is the desire to carry forward unused childcare expenses to the next year’s tax preparation.  This is not an option.

Types of services that qualify as childcare expenses include babysitting, day care, nursery school, and a nanny. Camps and boarding schools also qualify, subject to maximum rates. An official receipt from an organization must be provided, and in the case of an individual providing the service, their name and social insurance number needs to be reported on your tax return.

Mom or dad cannot pay the other parent for childcare, but a related person over 18 can be paid and the cost expensed as childcare, assuming of course that person claims it as income.

If you think about this one, it’s not a bad way to “hire” your older kids – they get money that is most likely not going to be taxed and you get a legitimate childcare expense claim. But remember, the kid has to be 18.

Separated parents sharing custody may claim an apportioned amount. Note that it must be a shared custody arrangement. A parent earning income and paying child support but not having custody cannot claim any childcare expense if the child should happen to reside with that non-custodial parent during the year and that parent requires childcare during that time period.

In fact, even if the childcare for the custodial parent is paid by the non-custodial parent, it’s not claimable by the non-custodial parent – an often overlooked rule.

Ron Clarke has his MBA and is a business owner in Trail, providing accounting and tax services. Email him at

To read previous Tax Tips & Pits columns visit

Just Posted

Pedestrian killed on Highway 22 Saturday evening

Police say 51-year-old man died after being hit by car

UPDATE: DriveBC says highway re-opened after accident

Highway 22 closed for seven hours on Saturday

Forestry workers set to begin job action in Kootenays

Operations in Castlegar, Cranbrook, Galloway, Elko, Radium, Golden may see job action this week.

Métis Flag flies in Trail on Louis Riel Day

Area students, officials and public attend flag raising at Trail City Hall

Early Trail borrowed a couple of names from the U.S.

Place Names: Connection between Trail and Butte, Montana

Saving salmon: B.C. business man believes hatcheries can help bring back the fish

Tony Allard worked with a central coast First Nation to enhance salmon stocks

High-end B.C. house prices dropping, but no relief at lower levels

But experts say home ownership remains out of reach for many for middle- and lower-income families

Worker killed in collision at B.C. coal mine

Vehicle collision occurred at approximately 10:45 a.m. this morning

B.C. asking for tips on ‘dirty money’ in horse racing, real estate, luxury cars

Action follows a Peter German report on money laundering in B.C. casinos

Canadian dead more than a week after plane crash in Guyana: Global Affairs

Global Affairs said it couldn’t provide further details on the identity of the Canadian citizen

Children between 6 and 9 eligible for $1,200 RESP grant from province

BC Ministry of Education is reminding residents to apply before the deadline

Victoria spent $30,000 to remove John A. Macdonald statue

Contentious decision sparked controversy, apology from mayor

Privacy concerns over credit card use for legal online pot purchases

Worries follow privacy breaches at some Canadian cannabis retailers

NEB approves operating pressure increase to repaired Enbridge pipeline

The pipeline burst outside of Prince George on Oct. 9, now operating at 85 per cent

Most Read