JBS is open for business, however measures are in place to prevent transmission of COVID-19. (JBS photo)

This tax season, challenge your knowledge on personal tax

Tax Quiz #6: U.S. income

This tax season, challenge your knowledge on personal tax … fun?

Here is another in a series of typical tax planning and preparation situations to test you.

In 2019 you earned $5,000 of US dividends inside your Canadian brokerage account.

You also paid $750, or 15%, tax to the US. These are US dollar amounts. The amounts have been converted to Canadian funds by the brokerage firm so the total revenue is $6,500 and the tax paid is $975.

You actually received $5525 deposited into your account.

Do you report the full revenue amount and tax paid, or do you just report the net amount of $5525 you actually received?

You report the full revenue of $6,500 Canadian dollars on your tax return. You also claim the $975 Canadian dollars of tax paid to the US.

Because of the Canada-US Tax Treaty, Canada and the US recognize tax paid to their country by someone not living in their country. In that way, a person is not double taxed.

Claiming the US tax paid on your tax return is using the foreign tax credit (FTC). The FTC rules are complex. A key criterion is that you would have paid as much tax in Canada on those earnings as you actually did pay to the US.

In this case then, the tax on $6,500 of dividend income from Canadian sources would warrant about $1,300 in taxes to Canada.

You paid $975 to the US. So, recognizing the $975 of tax paid to the US, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will require you to pay another $325 in tax to Canada on that $6,500 of revenue.

However, if those tax amounts were reversed and you were required to pay $975 to Canada and you had paid $1,300 to the US, CRA will not refund the extra $325 you paid to the US, nor will CRA apply that $325 toward any other tax you owe in Canada.

Your brokerage firm did not convert the US dollars to Canadian dollars. What do you do?

You do not report US, or any other foreign currency, on your Canadian tax return.

Typically you use the average annual Canada-US exchange rate as published by CRA.

However, if you know the precise timing of a financial transaction, the exchange rate for that month, or even day, should be used. If any foreign currency conversion is reviewed by CRA, a different applicable exchange rate may be determined by CRA and your return reassessed.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

BusinessCity of Trailtaxes

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Safeguards amplified for Kootenay Boundary first responders

” … We have initiated stringent PPE requirements to protect responders from exposures … “

‘An extra $220 every 90 days’: B.C. patients pay more dispensing fees due to prescription limits

Kelowna woman says it’s outrageous to charge for refills every 30 days

Trail medical lab makes changes amid pandemic

Rossland and Salmo clinics are not seeing immunocompromised or suspect/symptomatic patients.

Selkirk College gives back during COVID-19 crisis

Staff have been delivering grocery items and medical supplies to those in need during pandemic

Cominco, West Kootenay Power, perpetuated in place names

Place Names: Consolidated Mining and Smelting (CM&S) became Cominco, then Teck-Cominco, then Teck

‘Hold our line’: 29 new cases of COVID-19 announced in B.C.

Saturday’s number of new cases marks the lowest in weeks.

Two inmates found positive for COVID-19 at federal prison in B.C.; other tests pending

15 staff self-isolating waiting results, refusal to work notice sent, says correctional officer

Critic, workers’ group ‘disappointed’ Trudeau chose Amazon to distribute PPE

Amazon Canada said in an email to The Canadian Press that it is working with Canada Post, Purolator

Full World COVID-19 update: National Guard collect ventilators in New York; Spain, Italy improve

Comprehensive coronavirus update with news from around the world.

Two people fined after B.C. police spot online ads re-selling 5,000 surgical, N95 masks

Police confiscated the masks, being sold at inflated prices, and now working with Fraser Health

General exposure to public low after inmate tests positive for COVID-19: Interior Health

The Okanagan Correctional Centre inmate is receiving appropriate care

Sex workers face new risks during COVID-19 pandemic

‘Desperation has kicked in’ for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help

Unclear if Cowichan couple refusing to self-isolate will face penalty

No fines or charges have been laid to date, including Cowichan couple who won’t self isolate

Most Read