• Visac Gallery presents “Mountain Peak Meditations,” by Nelson artist Bryn Stevenson. The powerful paintings reflect the “peace, power and divine sovereignty” of the vast Kootenay wilderness, Monday to Friday, noon-4 p.m.
• The Kootenay Gallery of the Arts in Castlegar is featuring ‘Young Visions 2011,’ a collection of over 100 works of art by school district 20 teachers and students. The exhibition showcases sculpture, paintings, photography and ceramics by artists from Rossland Secondary, J. L. Crowe and Stanley Humphries. The show runs until May 28, Tuesday to Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. For more info call 365-3337.
• The Rouge Gallery presents the final guest in their music/concert series. The haunting voice and according of Bessie Wapp performs Eastern European music accompanied by Ben Johnson on the oud, santoor and percussion. Saturday at the Rouge. Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at door.
• On Sunday at 7:30 pm, cellist Jeff Faragher presents ‘A Cellos Journey’ an evening of fine music for solo cello. This event will take place at the Trail United Church, 1300 Pine Avenue, Trail.
• The last West Kootenay Ostomy Support Group meeting will be held Monday at the Kiro Wellness Centre, 1500 Columbia Ave. with guest speaker Lesley Anderton with a presentation on area wild flowers. 2 p.m. food and refreshments provided. Call 365-6276 for more information
• The Trail/Castlegar Parkinson’s Support Group meet Tuesday at the Colander at 11:30 AM. There will be a guest speaker. For more information phone 368-5179.
•Kids Garage Sale at the Fruitvale Memorial Hall on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 1p.m. For last minute table bookings ($10), please call Kelly at 367-9319.
• Trail’s Safety Village invites parents and their children to participate in a free program that teaches bicycle and pedestrian safety and how to survive house fires all in a fun mini-village setup. Ages 5-8 program, Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Register at the Trail Aquatic Centre 364-0888.
• The Italico Club of Trail will be hosting the Wine Festival Contest for all home vintners. Enter red or white from grapes or grape juice only from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Waneta Plaza. Contest winners will be announced at a Gala Banquet at the River-Belle that evening. Phone 368-3401 for more info.
• The Arrow Lake Yacht Club is throwing a fishing derby May 21-23.
Hidden weight prizes, under-16 fish for free. Sign up at the Yacht Club at 5540 Broadwater Rd. or call 365-6587. Adults $30, lunch included, final weigh in Monday, 1 p.m.
• The 64th Annual USCC Union Of Youth Festival, celebrates “strengthening Doukhobor connections. May 21- May 23. The three-day festival kicks off at 10:00 am on Saturday, May 21, followed by evening variety program at 7:00 pm. Entrance to the Saturday night program is by advance ticket only. For more information contact: uofy.usccdoukhobors.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Check out “Decade-ents” works by the West Kootenay Chapter of the Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA). The VISAC Gallery celebrates the 10th anniversary of the West Kootenay chapter of the FCA. This exhibition will host a variety of mediums and expert techniques from local artists. The gallery looks forward to a gala evening Friday, May 27 from 6-8 p.m. Show runs May 20 – June 21.