• Sunday Cinema presents “Waste Land.” Photographer Vic Muniz takes a journey from the giant garbage dump of Rio de Janeiro to the most prestigious auction houses in the world, transforming trash into art. Sunday, 4 p.m., $9.
• KSPS public television will air a five-minute segment on the book “Set in Stone.” The show “Northwest Profiles” will feature Trail’s rock walls as well as Trail’s two surviving stonemasons, Bill DiDomenico and Louie Bedin. It airs Tuesday at 7 p.m on Channel 5.
• “Small Treasures” exhibit and sale of local pottery, fibre art, paintings and jewelry at Visac Gallery, 1-4 p.m., Monday to Friday.
• Visac is looking for submissions for upcoming show, Faces and Figures – The Divine Spark. Submissions due Monday. Visit visacgallery.com or call 364-1181.
• All-ages concert at the KP Hall in Trail on Friday. Trail’s Speak of the Unknown, Castlegar’s Roy Has Fire and the Time Spinners from Nelson perform. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.; admission $5, children under eight free. Proceeds to Trail Youth Centre.
• The Trail Society for the Performing Arts present Memeza Africa. A 14-piece ensemble of spectacular vocal harmonies and jaw-dropping dance. Charles Bailey Theatre, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $30, at box office 368-9669.
• Iron Mountain Theatre presents “Ski Bum: The Musical.” Thursday, Jan. 27, and Saturday, Jan. 29, at Rossland Secondary School 7 p.m. $15.
• Brother Cerlouie Jimenez will be ordained to the Diaconate on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church. Dinner will be at 5 p.m. at the Riverbelle. Tickets $25 seating is limited. Call 368-6677.
• Local charities and businesses are raising funds for a cause of their choice by selling “Breast Friends Cookbooks.” The recipes have generated over $1 million for cancer research. Books in Trail at Canadian Cancer Society office and Style Mavens, or Deborah Shergold 368-5363 and Dorothy Northrup 362-9649.
• The Trail Library is celebrating Family Literacy Day. Join staff in the Red Room for stories, songs, snacks, games and crafts on Thursday, Jan. 27. For those up to age five: 12:30-2 p.m.; 6-12-year-old program: 3-4:30 p.m. Parent or caregivers must attend.
• Dance the night away at the Italo Canadese Hall with the SwingSations on Saturday, Jan. 29, 8 p.m. to midnight. For more info., call 364-1420 or 368-9217.
• The fourth-annual J. L. Crowe Variety Show raises funds for scholarships and showcases talent from all Crowe grades. It also recognizes the dedication of a past teacher with the Golden Apple Award. Thursday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. at Charles Bailey Theatre. Tickets $12 at the box office.
Email Grapevine submissions to email@example.com