Megan Lawrence, public education director and primary care paramedic with Ambulance Paramedics of BC (APBC). Photo: APBC

Megan Lawrence, public education director and primary care paramedic with Ambulance Paramedics of BC (APBC). Photo: APBC

Ambulance paramedics offer life-saving tips during Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

The first week of November is geared toward increasing awareness about the dangers of CO

It is that time of year when BC’s ambulance paramedics see an increase in emergencies related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

To mark Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (Nov. 1 to Nov. 7), Ambulance Paramedics of BC are offering tips to the public to protect themselves from this “silent killer.”

As people start using indoor heating appliances for warmth, exposure to carbon monoxide can cause illness and injury, including death.

“What makes carbon monoxide so dangerous, and why we refer to it as the silent killer, is that the gas has no smell, taste or colour. Unless you have a carbon monoxide detector, you would never know it was present until you began to suffer from symptoms,” said Megan Lawrence, public education director and primary care paramedic with Ambulance Paramedics of BC (APBC).

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning range in severity depending on the level of exposure and can include:

· Tiredness

· Headaches

· Shortness of breath

· Impaired motor function

· Dizziness

· Chest pain

· Confusion

· Convulsions/seizures

· Coma/unconsciousness

· Death

APBC’s President, Troy Clifford, said that most carbon monoxide exposure is avoidable: “Many of the carbon monoxide exposures we attend as paramedics could have been avoided through the presence of a carbon monoxide detector and following some simple safety measures, including performing regular maintenance of propane and natural gas appliances.”

Although incidence of carbon monoxide exposure increase during cold weather, the gas can be present any time of the year. Appliances powered by fuels like propane, natural gas, and kerosene, plus inadequate ventilation, present the greatest risks. Help keep you and your home safe with the following tips:

· Never use gas-powered machines, barbeques, portable fuel-burning camping equipment or generators indoors or in enclosed spaces (ie. in a house, garage, camper/trailer etc.).

· Only use space heaters in enclosed spaces (such as home or trailer) that are designed for indoor use, and be sure to follow manufacturer instructions.

· Ensure regular maintenance and inspections of fuel-powered appliances such as furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves and water heaters.

· Check fuel-powered appliances for leaks, cracks, blocked vents and corroded, damaged or disconnected pipes.

· Following a storm, ensure that exhaust vents are free and clear of debris and snow, including dryer vents, furnace exhaust vent, fireplace vents and chimney, heat recovery ventilator and vents for wood-burning or gas stoves.

As a final warning, Lawrence urges everyone to make sure they have a working carbon monoxide detector: “We cannot stress enough the importance of having a functioning carbon monoxide detector. Right now, stop what you are doing and go test the device and the batteries. If you are not home, set a reminder to do it. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector, make it your priority to get one as soon as possible. It could save you and your family’s life.”

Some tips for carbon monoxide detector use:

· Always follow manufacturer’s instructions for use.

· Install a carbon monoxide detector on each level or your home, focusing on the sleeping areas of the house and areas where fuel-powered appliances are present.

· Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly. Write on your alarm to remind yourself when it was installed and when it should be replaced based on manufacturer recommendations.

· If your carbon monoxide detector’s alarm goes off, get everyone out of the house immediately and go outside to fresh air. If you are experiencing any symptoms, call 911 immediately and ask for ambulance paramedics. Do not return home until you have an inspection done by a qualified technician.

· Never ignore the alarm on your carbon monoxide detector.

Ambulance Paramedics and Emergency Dispatchers of British Columbia is the union organization that represents the 4,500+ Paramedics and Emergency Dispatchers of the province of British Columbia, Canada. Please visit www.apbc.ca and www.911bc.com for more information.

BC Health

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(File)
One death and 82 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

1,981 total cases, 609 are active and those individuals are on isolation

Dr. Albert de Villiers, Chief Medical Health Officer for the Interior Health Authority. (Contributed)
‘People need to start listening’: IH top doc combats COVID-19 misconceptions

Dr. Albert de Villiers says light at the end of the tunnel will grow in step with people’s adherence to PHO guidance

Photo: Black Press file
Trail traffic stop yields stolen cheque investigation

Trail RCMP will continue enhanced impaired driving enforcement this holiday season

Youth Climate Corps members April Gariepy, Summer Monkman and Linn Murray at work in West Arm Provincial Park, fall 2020. Photo: Submitted
Youth Climate Corps members April Gariepy, Summer Monkman and Linn Murray at work in West Arm Provincial Park. fall 2020. Photo submitted
VIDEO: Kootenay youth climate group works to protect Nelson’s water supply

Youth Climate Corps members spent five weeks thinning forest in West Arm Park

Interior Health has set up a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site in Castlegar. Photo: Betsy Kline
Castlegar doctors and mayor urge residents to take COVID-19 seriously as cases are confirmed in the city

“Your doctors would like you to understand we do now have Covid cases here”

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

Good Samaritan Mountainview Village located at 1540 KLO Road in Kelowna. (Good Samaritan Society)
First long-term care resident dies from COVID-19 in Interior Health

Man in his 80s dies following virus outbreak at Mountainview Village

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

A coal-fired power plant seen through dense smog from the window of an electric bullet train south of Beijing, December 2016. China has continued to increase thermal coal production and power generation, adding to greenhouse gas emissions that are already the world’s largest. (Tom Fletcher/Black Press)
LNG featured at B.C. energy industry, climate change conference

Hydrogen, nuclear, carbon capture needed for Canada’s net-zero goal

People line up at a COVID-19 assessment centre during the COVID-19 pandemic in Scarborough, Ont., on Wednesday, December 2, 2020. Toronto and Peel region continue to be in lockdown. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
COVID-19 vaccine approval could be days away as pressures mount on health-care system

Many health officials in regions across the country have reported increasing pressures on hospitals

Stock photo courtesy Cliff MacArthur/provincialcourt.bc.ca.
Double-murder trial in case of Cranbrook couple killed adjourned until January

The trial was adjourned following an application from the defence related to COVID-19

Most Read