Skip to content

Fire crews extinguish blaze in Fruitvale

A reminder to keep a hose and shovel nearby when burning yard waste.

A Fruitvale homeowner was burning leaves Tuesday morning when wind pushed the flames over to her house.

The fire traveled from the homeowner’s lawn, to a shrub near her home and damaged the front side of the house and the attic.

Fire crews from Trail, Montrose and Fruitvale responded quickly and had the blaze on Old Salmo Road under control.

“It was a quick knock-down and the house was saved,” said Terry Martin, fire chief of the Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Dispatch. “The damage was limited and there was no injuries.”

Martin emphasized that homeowners need to keep a hose and shovel nearby if they’re burning leaves.

The estimated damages of the property are currently unknown, but the owners have insurance.