A fire in a downtown Trail apartment building sent one person to the hospital on Friday afternoon.
Fire Chief Dan Derby reports the cause of the Groutage Avenue Apartment blaze was smoking-related.
“Upon arrival (firefighters) found a mattress on fire,” he said in a Saturday morning press release. “The fire was contained to the area of origin.”
The call came into Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Fire Rescue (KBRFR) shortly before 5 p.m. March 1.
“KBRFR would like to remind everyone to exit a building when they hear fire bells ringing,” Derby stated. “ … and make sure you have working smoke alarms.”
A crew of eight from Station 374 Trail responded within minutes. The department lists the fire as “under control” just after 5 p.m.
“One person was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation,” Derby said. “There were no injuries to the firefighters on scene. Thank you to the RCMP and BCAS (ambulance) for their assistance.”