The ministry has no plans to change the Highway 3B junction following a fatality in July 2016 and another back in 2011. (Google image)

The ministry has no plans to change the Highway 3B junction following a fatality in July 2016 and another back in 2011. (Google image)

No plans to change Highway 3B junction: ministry

Fatal 2016 accident now before the court

No changes will be coming to the Highway 3B turnoff west of Waneta Plaza – the site of two traffic fatalities in seven years.

The Trail Times reached out to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) last week after a Dec. 6 non-fatal collision at the uncontrolled intersection – a safety review was launched last fall following a July 2016 fatal crash.

The Trail Times heard back from the province via email on Thursday.

The ministry replied, “Collision data from the last 10 years doesn’t show the Old Waneta Road intersection with a high crash frequency, even though it has had two tragic incidents – one in 2011 and the other in 2016.

“Nevertheless, to increase safety at this spot, the ministry has restricted the left out movement from Old Waneta Road and we have stopped the south-north through movements across Highway 3B.”

The ministry said it is cautious about restricting further traffic movements at this location, “as it would cause traffic to be re-directed to other intersections that could impact traffic and safety through private properties.”

MoTI concluded, “We will continue to monitor the results of the changes we have made, to ensure they are working for motorists in the area.”

According to police, the most recent accident happened when a driver making a lefthand turn was hit by another vehicle travelling west toward Trail.

That scenario mirrors the fatal 2016 accident that now stands before the court.

After a year-long investigation, an elderly driver has been charged with Criminal Negligence Causing Death in the July 25 crash that killed a 27-year old female motorcyclist.

Police confirmed to the Trail Times that the case is now in the hands of Rossland Provincial Court.

“The reason it takes so long for this type of investigation is first, and foremost, the reconstructionist report,” explained Sgt. Chad Badry of West Kootenay Traffic Services. “In reconstructing exactly what happened, there’s a lot of math and formulas involved and a peer review process – it takes months and months for that to get done.”

He says, in this particular incident, a number of “judicial authorizations” were required.

“(Those) had to be obtained in order to get the information we needed to support that particular charge,” he said. “And that slowed us down quite a bit as well.”

Investigation of another fatal 2016 accident, this one occurred in Fruitvale, has wrapped up and lies with Crown counsel.

On July 14, a 27-year old Fruitvale man was killed when a commercial tractor/trailer lost its load of crushed cars on Highway 3B near Old Salmo Road.

“We’ve finished the investigation and submitted reports to Crown counsel,” Badry confirmed. “And of course, when we submit a report to Crown that means that we’ve recommended some charges.”

Police will not comment on what those recommendations are, Badry said, because Crown may choose to go with different charges that may be more severe, or lesser.

“We certainly recognize that it’s really frustrating for the family in these types of situations,” he explained. “They want justice for their loved one that is now deceased and we recognize that.”

Badry concluded, “But, at the same time, we want to make sure we put the best case forward with a complete and thorough investigation.”

Just Posted

The Kootenay International Junior Hockey League met for their AGM and announced a number of new initiatives, new awards and changes in their executive committee, as well as the starting date for the 2021-22 season. Paul Rodgers file.
KIJHL announces start dates for 2021-22 season

Season set to begin Oct. 1 with league still following all health guidelines

South Slocan’s Ti Loran is among the recipients of this year’s Neil Muth Memorial Scholarship. Photo: Submitted
Neil Muth Memorial Scholarships awarded to 4 students

Students in Creston, South Slocan and Revelstoke are sharing the honour

The Independent Investigations Office of BC is looking into a Castlegar incident. File photo
Police watchdog investigating Castlegar incident

IIO: Woman sustained a reportedly self-inflicted injury

A wildfire near Cottonwood Lake was put out by Nelson firefighters Sunday night. Photo: Submitted
Wildfire extinguished near Cottonwood Lake

Lightning-caused fire was near one of Nelson’s water sources

West Kootenay Regional Airport. Photo: Betsy Kline
Central Mountain Air leaving Castlegar airport in July

The airline says market can’t handle two airlines

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in a plenary session at the G7 Summit in Carbis Bay, England on Friday June 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada donating 13M surplus COVID-19 vaccine doses to poor countries

Trudeau says the government will pay for 87 million shots to be distributed to poor countries

Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick, assistant deputy speaker at the B.C. legislature, presides over committee discussions. The legislature is completing its delayed spring session this week, with most MLAs participating by video conference. (Hansard TV)
B.C.’s daily COVID-19 infections dip below 100 over weekend

Only 68 new cases recorded Monday, four additional deaths

B.C. ambulance station in Revelstoke is expected to get a new system called the Scheduled On-Call (SOC) this fall. (Liam Harrap - Revelstoke Review)
B.C. ambulance changes could put Revelstoke residents at risk, warn local paramedics

Paramedics said to expect a substantial increase in ambulance response time starting this fall

The BC Ferries website went down for a short while Monday morning following a provincial announcement that recreational travel between health authorities can resume Tuesday. (Black Press Media file photo)
BC Ferries’ website crashes in wake of provincial reopening announcement

Website back up now, recreational travel between health regions to resume as of Tuesday

The Kamloops Indian Residential School is photographed using a drone in Kamloops, B.C., Monday, June, 14, 2021. The remains of 215 children were discovered buried near the former school earlier this month. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Communities grapple with what to do with former residential and day schools

Some tear them down as a tool to help healing, others repurpose them as tools for moving forward

FILE – Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry talks about B.C.’s plan to restart the province during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, Tuesday, May 25, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. watching U.K.’s COVID struggles but don’t think province will see similar pitfalls

Studies show that one dose of vaccine is only 33 per cent effective in preventing B.1.617.2 spread

RCMP Const. Shelby Patton is shown in this undated handout photo. RCMP say that Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over on Saturday morning in Wolseley, east of Regina. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, RCMP
Pair charged in Saskatchewan Mountie’s death make first court appearance

Const. Shelby Patton was hit by an allegedly stolen truck that he had pulled over Saturday morning

David and Collet Stephan leave for a break during an appeal hearing in Calgary on Thursday, March 9, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Appeal Court rejects stay for Alberta couple facing third trial in son’s death

Pair accused in their earlier trials of not seeking medical attention for their son sooner

Highway notices like this come down effective June 14. Public health restrictions on non-essential travel and commercial operation have hit local businesses in every corner of B.C. (B.C. government)
Province-wide travel back on in B.C.’s COVID-19 restart plan

Gathering changes include up to 50 people for outdoor events

Most Read