Kootenay Boundary fire rescue responded to a 9-1-1 from an apartment complex on Brookeside Drive in Fruitvale on Sunday - an unattended stove filled the building’s upper floor with smoke. (Sheri Regnier photo)

Kootenay Boundary fire rescue responded to a 9-1-1 from an apartment complex on Brookeside Drive in Fruitvale on Sunday - an unattended stove filled the building’s upper floor with smoke. (Sheri Regnier photo)

Smoke in Fruitvale prompts 9-1-1 call

Smoke from an oven fire prompted a call to regional fire rescue on Sunday.

The smell of smoke on Brookeside Drive in Fruitvale prompted a call to 9-1-1 on Sunday.

Eleven regional firefighters from Trail, Montrose and Fruitvale responded to the report of fire in the apartment complex, confirmed Jason Milne from Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Fire Rescue.

The incident was contained in the kitchen of one of the units, said Milne.

“Someone had left their stove on … and caused the whole top floor to fill up with smoke, ” he explained, noting that no one was in the unit at the time of the call. “There was minimal damage, more smoke than anything else.”

The call came in just after 2 p.m., firefighters stayed on scene until 3:30 p.m.

No injuries were reported.