Fire crews were quickly on the scene Wednesday in downtown Trail after smoke was spotted in an apartment.

Fire crews were quickly on the scene Wednesday in downtown Trail after smoke was spotted in an apartment.

Faulty heater blamed for smoke-filled apartment

Firefighters responded to a 911 call downtown Trail Wednesday morning. There were no injuries reported.



Kootenay Boundary Fire and Rescue Services (KBFRS) were called out to respond to a report of a smoke-filled dwelling in downtown Trail Wednesday morning.

The resident called 911 after noticing a smokey haze throughout the second floor apartment at the corner of Cedar Ave. and Helena St.

KBFRS arrived on the scene and suited up with breathing apparatus to perform a detailed inspection of the building but couldn’t detect any obvious source of the smoke.

“The resident had turned off the power after calling it in and once we had checked everything and turned the power back on it was obvious it was the space heater,” explained Terry Martin, Kootenay Boundary fire chief.

“We’ll take it and plug it in outside to see if it malfunctions again and, if so, do some checking into that particular make and model to see if they have any kind history of malfunctioning.”

The apartment’s resident was taken to Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital for observation.