One of the hazards of living in our world today is our exposure to toxic chemicals and heavy metals.
Whether it is from having amalgam “silver” fillings in our mouths, wearing lipstick or any other cosmetics.
Are you using soaps, shampoos, hair sprays, solvents, oils or lubricants?
Are you living in a house with new carpets, paint, dye our hair, work in a building with no opening windows, poor air exchange, chemicals, heavy metals, eat sprayed, fertilized food or have had water damage to your home?
This could mean you have a high burden or load of toxins that the body has to try to break down and remove.
If the body is too overloaded, you may have many global symptoms, such as lack of focus/concentration, decreased memory, skin rash, high cholesterol, headaches, low energy, shortness of breath, muscle weakness, poor recovery from exercise, asthma, little sweating.
Take the following questionnaire and see where you are in regards to toxicity:
1. Have you often had to lower the regular dose of prescription, over-the counter medication or herbal supplements because you were too sensitive to normal doses?
2. Do you avoid caffeine in the afternoon or completely because it can keep you up at night?
3. Have you ever experienced adverse reactions to medications? If so, what happened?
4. Do you smell odours when others can’t? What kind of odours?
5. Do you have a sudden onset of symptoms (headaches, skin rashes, nausea, fatigue, shortness of breath etc) on exposure to chemicals, mould, dust, pollen or other environmental allergens?
6. Do you get adverse reactions to chemicals? (Walking down a perfume isle?)
7. When did you last remember feeling really great?
8. Does you residence have any of the following: carpets, new paint, old paint, particle board/glues or other new construction ?
9. Is your residence over 30 years old or near an industry, sprayed forest/farm or highway?
10. How is your work place? Does it have proper ventilation, opening windows?
11. Have you had to change your residence or work place due to health reasons?
12. Have you had a known chemical injury or exposure
13. Have you ever lived near any heavy industries that regularly emitted waste into the air or water? (golf course, dry cleaner, plant, shipyard, mine, chemical factory, dumpsite, landfill)
14. Have you ever lived in a home where mould was a problem or had water leakage?
15. Have you ever lived in a mobile home?
16. Do you use pesticides or herbicides inside or outside your home?
17. Is your stove gas or electric? Do you use a microwave?
18. Do you wear dry cleaned clothing? How frequently?
19. Do you regularly get hair colouring, permanents, manicures, pedicures?
20. Do you use scented soaps, detergents, perfumes, fabric softeners?
21. Do you live with animals that get treated regularly for fleas or tics?
22. Do you use chemicals in any hobby? (solvents, paints, stains, cleaners, solders)
23. Do you have “silver” fillings, root canals, implants in your mouth?
24. Have you ever had any implants? (stainless steel, Teflon, silicone etc)
25. Have you ever had a reaction to immunizations?
26. Have you ever smoked, or lived with others that smoked?
If you have answered yes to many of these questions, you may have a toxic burden that is affecting your body.
In the next article, I will discuss how to identify if you have more than your body can handle and what you can do to remove them from your system and bring it back to balance.
Those that would like a personal evaluation of environmental load,
Please call: Dr. Brenda Gill at: 250-362-5035 or 250-352-3150
Dr. Brenda Gill is a naturopath in Rossland